Wholegrains, like oats, are loaded with fibre that helps maintain healthy bowel habits. Adding milk adds a good source of calcium.
What makes this a good choice?
An emerging body of literature suggests that calcium may play a role in regulating both body weight and body fat. The World Health Organization (WHO) suggests limiting the intake of free sugars, for example, the malted drink powder, to less than 10% of total daily energy intake as part of a healthy diet.
Items and Energy Value
- Bircher’s Oats with fruit (recipe)
- 150ml glass milk with 1 tsp. malted drink
kcal/kJ per serving
- 20 g raw oats
- 1 tablespoon walnuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup smooth cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- Mix the ingredients well and let them sit in the fridge overnight!
- Can serve hot or cold.
- Top with 2 tbsp. yoghurt and ¼ cup fresh fruit.