2 (4 circles per person)
kcal/kJ per serving
Sweet and Fruity French Toast Stack
An ideal Mother’s Day breakfast treat. Rounds of sweet eggy French toast layered with seasonal fruit and mascarpone or whipped cream cheese, drizzled with syrup and a shake of icing sugar. Although high in calcium and antioxidants, this treat is high in calories and should be limited to special occasions
Function of sugar in French Toast: Sugar is an important ingredient in the egg mixture as it breaks up the clumps of protein molecules found in the egg so that we end up with a smooth liquid to dip the bread in. Once the dipped bread hits the hot pan, the sugar is caramelised adding heaps of flavour and texture to the toast.
6 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
A pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of sugar
2 tablespoons of butter
2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
8 slices of day old bread
- Using a large glass cut out circles from the bread.
- Beat the eggs, milk, salt and sugar together in large bowl.
- Dip the bread slices, one at a time, into the egg mixture, turn to soak on both sides.
- In a large frying pan heat half the butter and oil.
- Fry the bread till golden on both sides, continue till all the bread is fried.
- Golden syrup
- 250g whipped cream cheese
- Layer with whatever seasonal sliced fruit and berries take your fancy.
4 circles per person
Spoon some whipped cream cheese onto the first piece of French toast and top with fruit and a drizzle of syrup, continue till you have topped all 4 circles, Drizzle with syrup and sprinkling of icing sugar and serve.