Potatoes offer a major source of energy, fibre and vitamins and minerals.
What makes this a good choice?
Fish is lean source of good quality protein, vitamin B12 and zinc. Protein is needed for growth, maintenance and repair of body tissue.
Items and Energy Value
- 2 Fish cakes (see recipe)
- One serving of potato wedges (see recipe)
- ½ cup of coleslaw
Makes 12 fish cakes or burger patties, or 24 mini fish balls and 6 small servings of potato wedges.
kcal/kJ per serving
Fish Cakes Ingredients
- 1 tin pilchards in tomato sauce (410 g) or 1 tin salmon (410g)
- 400g poached white fish (e.g. hake)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely grated or chopped
- 30ml fresh parsley, finely chopped (2 tablespoons)
- 375ml lower GI oats (1½ cups)
- 2 eggs
- 30ml oil, canola or olive
Potato Wedges Ingredients
- 450g baby potatoes (12) or sweet potatoes (2 medium) or a combination
- 15ml oil, canola or olive (1 tbsp.)
- 5ml salt (1 tsp.) and other spices as desired
Fish Cakes Method
- Remove pilchards form the tomato sauce and flake. Reserve the sauce.
- Flake the poached white fish and mix it with the pilchards.
- Add the onion, parsley, oats and some of the sauce from the pilchards to make a firm batter. (Use extra tomato sauce if using salmon).
- Mix in the eggs. Be careful not to overmix.
- Shape the mixture into 12 fish cakes or burger patties, or 24 mini fish balls.
- Heat 15 ml (1 tablespoon) oil in a large frying pan and fry half the fish cakes quickly, as one batch over medium heat. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and quickly fry the second batch of fish cakes.
Potato Wedges Method
- Wash the potatoes and/or sweet potatoes and cut them into wedges.
- Boil until half-done (or microwave on high for 5 minutes). Pour off the water and drain well
- Heat the grill.
- Pour 15ml (1 tbsp.) oil onto a baking sheet and heat the oil under the grill until hot and very runny, but not smoking.
- Add the potato wedges and toss carefully until well coated with oil.
- Switch off the grill and set the oven to 200⁰C.
- Bake for 10 minutes, toss again and bake another 10 minutes until golden brown.