(20 Mini Pizzas)
kcal/kJ per serving
This meal is loaded with vegetables, hidden in the tomato base and as crudités.
What makes this food choice good?
Make starchy foods part of most meals, including oatbran in the pizza base for longer lasting energy. This meal is loaded with vegetables, hidden in the tomato base and as crudités. Vegetables are a rich source of vitamins and minerals, fibre and they contain water to fill you up without adding too much extra food energy. Aim to include vegetables in at least one or two mixed meals a day. The guacamole (avocado) is a good source of monounsaturated fat, aim to include more monounsaturated fats like avocado, canola and olive oil.
- 2 Mini pizzas (recipe)
- 1 cup Crudités (vegetable sticks – carrot, cucumber, baby marrows, celery, mange tout, baby corn, baby tomatoes)
- Serve with a dipping sauce of ¼ cup of guacamole
Pizza Base Ingredients
125 ml fat free milk, warmed (½ cup)
125 ml high fibre bran cereal (½ cup)
400 ml self-raising flour (1⅗ cup)
5 ml dried mixed herbs (1 tsp.)
5 ml salt (1 tsp.)
375 ml oat bran (1½ cup)
1 large apple, peeled and finely grated (do not leave out)
30 ml olive oil (2 tbsp.)
1 recipe tomato concasse (see below) (1⅗ cup)
250 ml of your favourite pizza toppings, chopped (1 c), e.g. cold meat, lean chicken, tuna, asparagus, mushrooms, olives, pineapple, sweet peppers, onion, etc.
200 g low fat mozzarella cheese, grated (2 cup)
Tomato Concasse Ingredients
Makes 400 ml (1⅗ cup) – enough for 20 mini pizza toppings
2.5 ml oil, canola or olive (½ tsp.)
½ medium onion, finely chopped.
1.25 ml fresh garlic, crushed (¼ tsp.)
60 ml water (4 tbsp.)
410 g tinned chopped tomato (one tin)
2.5 ml stock powder of your choice (½ tsp.)
5 ml sugar (1 tsp.)
2.5 ml dried oregano (½ tsp.)
1.25 ml freshly ground black pepper (¼ tsp.)
Pizza Base and Topping Method
- Preheat oven to 200⁰ C and grease a baking sheet lightly with a paper towel dipped in oil or with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour the warm milk over the high fibre cereal, mix and set aside to hydrate.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl, then stir in the herbs, salt, oat bran and grated apple.
- Add the oil to the cereal and milk.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and apple, and pour the milk-oil mixture into the well.
- Mix lightly with a knife to make a soft dough. Do not over-mix.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured board and knead gently, using only your fingertips.
- Press out the dough and then roll out to about 5 mm thickness using a rolling pin dusted with flour.
- Press out or cut into 20 x 90 mm rounds using a biscuit cutter or a small bowl of 90 mm diameter to make the mini pizza bases.
- Place the mini pizza bases onto the lightly greased baking sheet.
- Spoon 20 ml (1 heaped tbsp.) of tomato concasse onto each mini pizza and spread 15 ml (1 tbsp.) of your favourite topping on top of each pizza.
- Sprinkle each pizza with a little of the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Tomato Concasse Method
- Heat the oil over medium heat and sauté the chopped onion and crushed garlic while stirring constantly.
- Add all the other ingredients and simmer on the lowest heat for 30 minutes to make a thick concasse that can easily be spread on the pizza bases.
- Use 20 ml (1 heaped tbsp.) per pizza base.