(12 mini pitta burgers or 36 mini meatballs)
kcal/kJ per serving
Lean red meat and egg are both sources of high quality protein.
What makes this a good choice?
A pita bread provides a source of longer-lasting energy. Lean red meat and egg are both sources of high quality protein. Red meat is the richest and most easily absorbed source of iron and a good source of vitamin B12. Adding fruit and vegetables is a great way to boost vitamin, mineral and fibre intake and to fill you up. Add flavour by using more herbs and spices instead of using too much salt or condiments high in salt.
- 1-2 Pita burgers (see recipe)
- 1 cup vegetable sticks: cucumber, carrots, celery and peppers
- ¼ cup hummus dip (see recipe)
- Dessert: Serve ½ cup of chilled cubed fresh fruit with ¼ cup of custard
1 small onion, peeled
2 eggs, preferable omega-3 rich
2.5 ml salt (½ teaspoon)
1.25 ml black pepper (¼ teaspoon)
5 ml dried parsley (1 teaspoon)
60 ml oat bran (4 tablespoon)
500 g lean beef mince
5 ml oil, canola or olive (1 teaspoon) to fry patties
3 pita pockets, cut into quarters
1x 410g can Chickpeas
60ml Lemon Juice(4 tablespoons)
10ml (1-2 teaspoons) Garlic, crushed
60ml (4 tablespoons) Tahini (Sesame seed paste)
(Salt, pepper, Paprika, Parsley)
- Chop the onion finely.
- Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl
- Add the onion, all the seasonings and the oat bran to the eggs and mix well.
- Add the mince to the egg mixture and mix well, ensuring that all the ingredients are moistened.
- Let this mixture stand for 15 minutes to allow the oat bran to absorb the moisture.
- Meanwhile, grease a baking pan with the oil, or spray with non-stick spray.
- Shape the mince mixture into 12 patties and place them in the baking pan. Place under a grill (not on the top rack) and cook on both sides until browned. Do not turn too often, as these patties will fall apart.
- Cut pita pockets into quarters and spread the inside of each pita quarter with barbecue sauce or sandwich spread, the insert one patty per pita quarter.
- Mix all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and season to taste.
- Store in fridge for up to one week.