Enjoying a variety of foods includes using a variety of preparation and cooking methods, as in this meal.
What makes this a good choice?
Potatoes are boiled and then baked, still offering a major source of energy, fibre and vitamins and minerals. Vegetables provide colour and texture to meals. Variety is essential for good nutrition. Skinless chicken is a source of good quality lean protein and contains water soluble B-vitamins, zinc and iron. Use salt and food high in salt sparingly. Add flavour by using herbs instead of too much salt or condiments high in salt, like soy sauce. Sesame oil and seeds are good sources of polyunsaturated fats and fat soluble vitamins. Sesame oil and seeds add flavour and taste and should be used sparingly.
Items and Energy Value
- Sesame chicken skewers(recipe)
- One serving of potato wedges (recipe)
- Roasted vegetables
Makes 6 kebabs
kcal/kJ per serving
Chicken Skewers Ingredients
- 60ml raw honey (4 tablespoons)
- 60ml soy sauce (4 tablespoons)
- 5ml oil, preferably sesame (1 teaspoons)
- 1.25ml ground cinnamon (¼teaspoon)
- 1.25ml ground cloves (¼ teaspoon)
- 1.25ml black pepper (¼ teaspoon)
- Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 30ml lemon juice (1 small lemon) (2 tablespoons)
- 450g chicken breasts, cubed (3 chicken breasts)
- 6 wooden skewers
- 60ml sesame seeds (4 tablespoons)
Potato Wedges Ingredients
- 450 g baby potatoes (12) or sweet potatoes (2 medium) or a combination
- 15 ml oil, canola or olive (1 tablespoons)
- 5 ml salt (1 teaspoon) and other spices as desired
Chicken Skewers Method
- Melt the honey in a saucepan over low heat.
- Add the soy sauce, sesame oil, cinnamon, cloves, pepper, chopped coriander and lemon juice.
- Place the chicken cubes in a dish and pour the mixture over the chicken cubes, and leave to stand for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 180 ⁰C.
- Thread the chicken cubes onto skewers and place them, with the sauce, in an ovenproof dish and cover with a lid or tin foil.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over the kebabs (roll the skewers in the sesame seeds to ensure they are sprinkled on all sides).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove the lid or foil and bake for another 5 minutes to lightly brown the skewers.
- Wash the potatoes and/or sweet potatoes and cut them into wedges.
- Boil until half-done (or microwave on high for 5 minutes). Pour off the water and drain well.
- Heat the grill.
- Pour 15ml (1 tablespoon) oil onto a baking sheet and heat the oil under the grill until hot and very runny, but not smoking.
- Add the potato wedges and toss carefully until well coated with oil.
- Switch off the grill and set the oven to 200°C.
- Bake for 10 minutes, toss again and bake another 10 minutes until golden brown.