Whole-wheat bread and beans both provide a source of longer-lasting energy. Skinless chicken offers lean protein and a source of iron. Animal sources of food are considered to be better absorbed sources of iron.
What makes this a good choice?
Both chicken and beans are sources of protein. Protein is needed for growth, maintenance and repair of body tissue. Eat plenty of vegetables and fruit every day. Aim to include vegetables in at least one or two mixed meals a day. Avocado is a good source of monounsaturated fats, aim to include more monounsaturated fats like avocado, canola and olive oil. Use salt sparingly by adding flavour through using more fresh and dry herbs and spices.
Items and Energy Value
- Chicken & Avo Sandwich (recipe)
kcal/kJ per serving
- ½ cup red beans, drained, rinsed
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
- pinch black pepper
- pinch red chili pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, finely chopped OR 1 tsp. dried coriander
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread (or a whole-wheat wrap)
- 60g chicken, roasted, cut into strips
- ¼ cup carrot, shredded
- ½ small tomato, chopped
- ¼ avocado, cut into cubes
- In a large bowl combine and mix together beans, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, red chili flakes or jalapeño pepper and cilantro.
- Cut unpeeled avocados in half, remove the pit and slice lengthwise, then across, to make cubes.
- Using a large spoon, placed near the avocado skin, remove the avocado pieces from the cut halves into a bowl.
- On a clean, dry, flat surface, place slice of bread at a time. Add ¼ each of the bean mixture, chicken, carrot, tomato and avocado, in that order and repeat. Cover with a top slice of whole-wheat bread.