Avocado is a good source of monounsaturated fats, aim to include more monounsaturated fats like avocado, canola and olive oil.
What makes this a good choice?
Starchy foods like corn and the tortilla, offer energy needed for active growing bodies and they also help to satisfy the appetite. Fish is lean source of good quality protein, vitamin B12 and zinc. Protein is needed for growth, maintenance and repair of body tissue. A smart way is to puree vegetables and use in a salsa. Vegetables are a rich source of vitamins and minerals, fibre and they contain water to fill you up without adding too much extra food energy. Avocado is a good source of monounsaturated fats, aim to include more monounsaturated fats like avocado, canola and olive oil.
Items and Energy Value
- Fish Tacos with Corn Salsa (recipe)
Serving size: 3 tacos – Serves 4
kcal/kJ per serving
- 360g white fish fillet
- Cooking spray
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- ½ cup frozen corn, thawed
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed
- 2 cups pre-shredded slaw (cabbage, red cabbage, carrots)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- Preheat broiler. Mist fish with cooking spray, season with salt and pepper and place on foil-lined baking sheet.
- Broil fish for about 8 minutes, until its internal temperature reaches 145ºF. Cut cooked fish into strips.
- Mix salsa with corn. Serve cooked fish in tortillas topped with corn salsa, broccoli slaw and avocado. Drizzle with lime juice.