Satisfy your craving for a crunchy sweet delight
Function of sugar: The success of making this salty-sweet delight, is dissolving the sugar using heat. When this happens, the sugar darkens, releasing beautiful aromas and flavours. When removed from the heat the syrup hardens into the brittle texture, we are accustomed to. Without the sugar, there will be no brittle! For the sake of your teeth, it’s a treat not to be had every day.
2 cups sugar
A pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups salted peanuts
- Spray a baking sheet that has a raised rim with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized saucepan stir together the sugar with a 1/2 cup of water and the salt.
- Now cook over high heat, without stirring, until sugar begins to melt and turn golden, this should take about 3 minutes, be careful not to burn the syrup, keep cooking until it turns amber in colour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the peanuts.
- Working very quickly spread the mixture into the prepared baking pan with an oiled spoon or spatula.
- Once it has cooled completely break into desired size pieces and store in an airtight container.